Thursday, September 1, 2011

Volunteer Placement at VIDYA

Area outside the school. The houses do not have running water but there are communal water spigots dispersed among the houses. Lots of dogs, rats, trash, and sewage, though the inside of the houses look very swept.
After English, Math and games, we color!
The teacher that supervises us and keeps the kids and dogs in order. He is playing Nose Aerobics, which is a pair of glasses that my friend Jenny gave me before I left for India. They are a bit hit at the center!
Trying very hard to get the ball into the basket
Kum Kum and her brother. She is very smart and serious; she also takes care of her brother and her little sister.
Kum Kum trying to make a dunk!
Beginning the Hokey Pokey, which the kids just love
"Put your right leg in......."
The kids love to have their picture taken
I love the little toughie on the left
He's always causing trouble, but boy is he cute!
The kids are chalk drawing on the floor. In the background are women who are learning how to sew.
More chalk drawing
My two favorites: Kiran and Pankau. I always have to write "Excellent" on their lessons, add 5 to 10 stars, a smiley face, and then my signature.
We get served Chai around 10:30 and it's so good.
Annie with the kids


I always forget her name, but I think it is Kashish
Bhawana - she is very smart!
Here I am with Pankau
Annie with the kids
VIDYA (Integrated Development for Youth and Adults) is an Indian non-profit that educates and empowers children, youth and woman. I spent my last week volunteering for this organization that provides education to school-going and non-school going children, especially girls, up to the age of 14. The kids all come from the "slum" in which the community center resides. The kids are so funny that it's hard to keep a straight face, and forget about any form of discipline. I think the dogs that wander in and out are disciplined more than the kids. If only I could stay longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment